Tomato rice is one of South Indian style rice preparations. The main ingredients are tomatoes and rice. Addition of onions and curry leaves gives nice flavor to the dish. And not to forget that freshly ground masala always make a difference.
- Spice powder –
- Dried red chilies – 2
- Coriander seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Split chana dal – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Split urad dal – ½ teaspoon
- Asafetida (hing) – a pinch
- Other ingredients –
- Cooked rice – 2 cups **Notes
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Onion – ½ cup, chopped
- Curry leaves – 5-6
- Green chilies – 2, chopped finely
- Tomato – 2 medium (1 cup pureed)
- Salt – to taste
- Cooked Rice – ½ cup raw rice will give you 2 cups cooked rice.
- Take spice powder ingredients except hing (red chili, chana dal, urad dal and coriander seeds) in a small pan.
- Turn the heat on low-medium. Dry roast with stirring continuously till dal is brown and you will get nice aroma from coriander seeds. Make sure to dry roast on proper heat; if dal stays raw then it won’t taste good at all.
- Let them cool completely. Grind them into fine powder using spice grinder.
- Heat the oil in pan on medium heat. Once hot add mustard seeds. Let them pop.
- Then add chopped onions, green chilies and curry leaves.
- Cook till onion gets light brown.
- Add pureed tomato and salt. Mix well.
- Cook till all the moisture from tomato evaporates and oil starts to leave from the sides.
- Add spice powder.
- Mix well and add cooked rice.
- Mix gently till incorporated well. And serve.