Sambar is such a typical south Indian curry. It’s lentils cooked along with lots of vegetables. Sambar is generally served along with South Indian dishes. Idli Sambar and Dosa with Sambar goes best.
- 2 cup Sambhar (Tuvar) Dal
- 1/4 kg Vegetables( Drumstick,Green Pepper,Eggplant,Okra)
- 1/4 tsp Fenugreek seeds
- 3 Red chillies
- 3 Green chillies
- 1 tsp Sambhar powder
- Curry leaves
- a pinch Hing
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tsp Mustard
- 1/4 tsp Tamarind paste
- 4 tbsp Cooking oil
- oil – 1 tbsp
- Mustard seeds – 1/4 tsp
- curry leaves – 1 stalk
- dry red chillies – 2 nos
- Wash and dice all the vegetables.
- Boil water and cook the dal with turmeric and salt.
- Separate the cooked dal and water, and keep them aside.
- In thuvar dal water cook the vegetables..
- After the veggies are cooked, add tamarind paste.
- Now add the cooked dal and simmer for a few more minutes
- Heat some oil in a pan, splutter mustard, then add methi, red chillies, green chillies, curry leaves, hing, turmeric, and sambhar powder and keep frying for a few minutes.
- Season the sambhar with the above prepared tadka.
- Sprinkle coriander on top.