Paneer Pakora is a tasty appetizer or tea time snack made with cottage cheese. Marinated paneer dipped in a batter and deep fried makes a crispy mouth watering snack.
- 4 oz paneer thinly slice in about 1” squares this will make about 14-16 slices
- 2 tablespoons yogurt
- 4 tablespoon corn starch or arrowroot
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 1 green chili minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon cilantro finely chopped (hara dhania)
- 1/2 cup besan, gram flour
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 teaspoon salt adjust to taste
- 1/8 teaspoon baking soda
- Approx. 1/4 cup water
- First marinate the paneer- in a mixing bowl add yogurt, corn starch, salt, ginger, green chili and cilantro and mix it well. This should be consistency of soft paste. Add paneer pieces and mix gently. All the pieces should be coated with yogurt mix. Set aside for an hour or more.
- For batter mix besan, cumin seeds, salt and baking soda add water slowly to make a thick batter consistency of a paste.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium high heat. Frying pan should have about 1 inch of oil. To check if the oil is ready, put one drop of batter in the oil. The batter should come up but not change color.
- Dip the marinated paneer slices in the batter one at a time and slowly drop into the frying pan.
- Fry the Pakoras in small batches. The pakoras will take about 4 to 5 minutes to cook.
- Turn them occasionally. Fry the Pakoras until both sides are golden-brown.
- Repeat this process. The crispy, delicious Paneer Pakoras are ready to serve.
- Serve Paneer Pakoras with a dip of your choice. I like to serve them with Cilantro Hari Chutney or sweet and sour Tamarind Chutney.