Tamarind is a popular rice recipe of the south India. Tamarind or imli as it known otherwise makes this dish tangy.Tamarind Rice is a tangy-spicy South-Indian Rice variety, which is known for its long shelf life and great travel food.
- 4 Cups of boiled rice
- 1 tbsp Channa dal
- 1/4 tsp Chilli powder
- Chopped garlic
- 1 tbsp Coriander powder
- 1 tbsp Cumin powder
- Curry leaves
- 1/2 tsp Mustard seeds
- 1 tbsp Oil
- 2 tbsp Raw peanuts
- 3 piece Red chilli whole
- 1 Cup Tamarind juice
- 1/4 tsp Turmeric powder
- 1 tbsp Sesame seed powder (optional)
- Heat the oil in the pan and add the whole red chillies.let the chillies to fry for few seconds.
- Then add the mustard seeds.once the chillie are fried they are no longer hot but get milder taste.
- When the mustard seeds splutters add the fenugreek seeds.now add the chana dal and peanuts and cook them properly on medium flame without burning them.then add the curry leaves,chopped green chillies and hing.
- Then add the turmeric,as haldi gives the color to the rice add enough turmeric.
- Then add the tamarind juice to it and add the dry masalas red chilli powder,coriander powder and cumin powder.
- Let the gravy cook till the oil oozes out for 10 to 12 mins.while the gravy is cooking in absorbing the juices
- Toast the sesame seeds and crush them and once the gravy is ready add the pwdr to it and cook it for another 15mins.
- Check the seasonings and add salt .
- Then take your cooked rice and add the tamarind gravy to it mix it and enjoy.
- you can make this gravy ahead of time and store it in the refrigerator and mix it with cooked rice whenever you want.